Monday, November 12, 2012

Trained


Hello High Heelers,

Wow, what a week it has been. Frenetic, frantic and fascinating in every way. I found myself, for the first time, last week, at the top of our GauTrain stairs, en route to a business meeting dressed in a knee length pencil skirt and high heels, peering down the steepest steps ever, in horror. To give context – the Gautrain in Joburg’s new quickest mode of transport from Joburg to the next city, Pretoria (which is sort of like going from New York to New Jersey). Though it’s been open for over a year, I’ve not yet used it as I’ve not had reason to. As I arrived at the station excitedly, I had no idea that I’d needed to be better prepared. I suppose I expected to find a moving escalator that would carry me down to the underbelly of Joburg. Instead, I found myself scuffling down the endless staircase, hanging onto the railing (and my laptop bag) for dear life, looking like a complete lunatic. It was that, or whip off my heels and pull up my skirt – which due to hygiene and safety reasons, was not going to happen. Next up was the actual train trip, which was yet another surprise. The journey was comparable to the efficiency of Germany’s system – to the split second. It must be said, what the GauTrain lacks in charm and character (I just love the craziness of the subway and the tube) it makes up for in cleanliness and competence. Who knew!? Lesson to me – expect the unexpected.

The unexpected is also exactly what happened when an American business partner of ours arrived on South African soil with scripts and questions to start filming leadership lessons with our leaders. I knew it would go well and I was convinced that our South Africans would make an impact new to international audiences, but I had no idea to what degree. As each leader took their position under the lights, I prepared myself to listen to stories of how they were mentored and how books and education had changed their lives. But that’s not what brought on the tears and moments of enlightenment. What really made all the difference was the experiences they journeyed and the hardships they endured and overcame. One of the leaders, who is a mentor and guide in my life, shared about the strength he’d gained and the forgiveness he’s learned from being locked up as a political prisoner from the age of 12. I speak to this man weekly and felt rather ashamed that I’ve never asked him what it is that shapes his positive outlook and remarkable leadership. People are so willing to share most of the time, all you have to do is ask.

So my lesson from this week is twofold – firstly, you never know what people have in them, unless you ask. I’m not suggesting we harass our very busy leaders and add more stress to their loads. I’m merely saying that when you find yourself in front of a teacher and mentor, ask, listen and learn. Wisdom comes in many forms, be open to it. Then, never underestimate the power of the paths you’ve taken and the journeys you’ve travelled. All experiences – good and bad, trivial and serious – have the power to shape you for greatness. And of course, I also learned never to catch the train in high heels and a pencil skirt, it just doesn’t work out for the good of anyone.

This week as you stand before your leaders, listen and ask – but be cognisant and respectful of their time. For those of us that lead others, let’s be generous in our sharing – let’s realise that in our mistakes and our successes we shape the generation that will take the lead next. It’s our responsibility to grow ourselves and grow others into people that make our world a better place than they found it. Let’s step up and expect great things. Have a wonderful week.

Yours in heels,
Jo

Don't forget to LIKE our FaceBook page - http://www.facebook.com/pages/High-Heelers/193781660675079
And if you really, really like us – send us out across your Social Networking Links – just click the appropriate icon below.

No comments: