Monday, December 10, 2012

Stand for giving


Hello High Heelers, 
I had to pinch myself today when I realised that I’ve done absolutely no Christmas shopping and it’s the second week of December. How did that happen? The trees and lights all started going up over a month ago – you’d think I’d have noticed and jumped into holiday action, but I didn’t. I think since it all started so early I didn’t take it seriously and now, now I’m going to get stuck in the crowds fighting over random holiday gifts for my beloved family and friends, that they don’t really need, and don’t necessarily want.
Driving into work this morning, the radio host was talking about the worst gift that he’d ever received for Christmas – he painfully described a horrible fruit and biltong hamper wrapped in cellophane with a weird ribbon that he once got from a family member (‘biltong’ is much like beef jerky, it’s a kind of dried and spiced meat that’s made from beef or suitable venison – which in Africa could be kudu, impala or even crocodile). As a vegetarian I know little about biltong, except that it’s dry – very dry, and that South African guys love it. My girlfriends and I have taken to calling biltong ‘boy flowers’ as it seems few men can be uncheered by a bag of seriously salty meat. So when the presenter went on and on about the dehydrated, desert-dry, hideous meat, I couldn’t help but wonder – isn’t that the point? As the callers phoned in to describe similar ‘monstrous’ gifts that they’d received from those that should know them better, I couldn’t help but think about the awful things I’ve received. Pointless really.
I thought quite a lot and came up with a reasonable list of things that people don’t like – with little luck on things that I don’t like. Could it be that I like everything? No – not possible. If you’ve ever been shoe shopping with me you’ll know exactly how picky I can be! Giving up on bad givings, I instead thought about the ‘random gifts’ I’ve received that meant the most. Like the cushion I received from one of the inmates I was teaching during a prison life skills class I ran. He made it by hand, with paint, newspaper and fabric torn off old uniforms. That cushion may seem grubby, rather worn and inappropriate in my home, but it’s one of my most prized possessions – a lot of love went into that! I will keep it forever.
I have a weird rubber duck on my desk that a young colleague gave me a while back. He was going through a tough time one day and I stopped to chat and offer counsel. After a good long discussion, he handed me the duck and told me he wants me to have it as it reminds him of me as it always seems so happy (which was rather strange since I was completely miserable then, but my goodness looking at that silly duck made me smile every day – and still does!) One of my other colleagues ducknapped my duck and tied a red spotted ribbon around his neck which just added to the cuteness of it all. He (the duck) even lost his ‘quack’ noise and has been to voice hospital twice – no luck the second time round though! It’s one of the most bizarre treasures I own, but one of the most precious.
I kept thinking more and more about the wonderful things I’ve received – and I’ve been so blessed in my life. But the things that really stand out, are the unexpected gifts received at unexpected times that are presented with care. Like the paper drawn laptop given to me by a friend’s son – he was so proud of his creation and it was so flattering that he chose to give it to me. Then there’s the seriously silly, polystyrene, sparkly princess crown that my boss, Natalie Maroun (the ultimate giver!), bought me as a joke – though there could be some relevance in the choice! The little notes of kindness. The words of love. The acts of protection. Gifts are by no means confined to the physical.
I turned off the radio and felt sad for those that didn’t appreciate their gifts. Sure – our expectations are high, and that’s fine in given our cultural upbringing and expectations. However, for those of us that are fortunate enough to have so much, shouldn’t we try to start focus more on giving than receiving? Shouldn’t we start recognising the beauty in the simple things we get?
May I challenge you to turn the season of receiving gifts into the time for being grateful for what you have, gracious about who you are, and kind in giving to those in need? Let’s be High Heelers that stand for more and who are never afraid to give of ourselves expecting nothing in return. Let’s make it a season of giving thoughts and gratitude, and receiving smiles and joy.
Have a wonderful week.
Yours in heels,
Jo
Don't forget to LIKE our FaceBook page - http://www.facebook.com/pages/High-Heelers/193781660675079
And if you really, really like us – send us out across your Social Networking Links – just click the appropriate icon below.

No comments: