Monday, January 21, 2013

Falling from heels


Hello High Heelers,

It’s been a while since I connected with you all and I must say – it’s great to be back behind the keyboard. I’m most happy when I’m typing away and sharing all kinds of lessons learnt from the chaos that seems to follow me like a lost puppy. High Heelers, December was a wonderful time of reading, reflecting, refocusing and dreaming. I hope that you gained a lot of value from your festive season break too, if you had one.

On the topic of breaks – I almost broke my arm (and myself) last week after a nasty fall. I was visiting my cousin and ventured out in a storm to help my brother, sister-in-law and nephew into the house. When it comes to rain, thunderbolts and lightening (very very frightening) to cool us down during the hot summer, Joburg does a phenomenal job! Now before you all imagine a scenario of me in 6 inch heels running through an electric monsoon, let me confess that I was actually barefoot. It was practically flooded outside, so I did the sensible thing… I took off my shoes and walked very carefully out of the house towards the stairs. I still have no idea how it happened (it’s important to note here that I’m a teetotaller these days), but I was chatting with my brother on the phone one moment and in the next I was flat on my back, shouting very colourful words at my cellphone calling for help, having fallen right to the bottom of the stairs and landing myself in the Emergency Room.

How is it fair that I proceeded with complete and utter caution but still fell into trouble? It’s not. And you know what High Heelers, there are a whole lot of unfair things that will (and have) happen to us in our lifetimes. Sometimes we lose people we love for no reason at all and sometimes we don’t reap rewards from our hard work. Some of us are experience abusive partners that hold us back, others grow up with alcoholic parents who seem to love their addictions more than their children. Some people have been born into families where they are given no opportunity to grow or flourish simply because they’re a girl, or the firstborn and others are brought into worlds where there is no equality or freedom. One of the simple realities in life, is that amongst all the blessings we receive and the hardships we face, sometimes we will get thrown a curveball after doing all the right things and will find ourselves inelegantly flat on our backs, with our feet in the air (heel free), without being able to get up on our own.

I spent so much time this season thinking about the things I’ve been through and the situations I’ve encountered that were just not fair. And I’ve realised that you can’t prevent unfair things from happening, but you can control how they impact you. My fall brought me loads of love and attention from my friends and family. I had my besties driving me around for a few days which gave us wonderful opportunities to chat, connect and laugh so much our sides ached. Unfairness forced me into a situation where I was reliant on others to help me out – when the loss of my independence is one of my greatest fears. But in it I learnt that it’s ok to lean on others when you have to. I learnt that people that care for you don’t see helping you as a mission – they see it as an expression of love. Most of all, I learnt that bad things happen but they only stay bad if you allow them to.

So this week, as I tread more carefully than usual, I’m beginning to see the unfair things in my world as opportunities – why don’t you do the same? It takes a moment to make the connection, but if you look carefully you’ll find it. Part of my fall included facing the hospital where my grandmother passed which allowed me to really cry properly for the first time over her death – then giggle uncontrollably remembering the last time I stood with her in a hospital and she was trying to hook me up with my grandpa’s ‘gorgeous surgeon’ who resembled a character from the Big Bang Theory (uh – and I was not single at the time!)

High Heelers, when we fall unfairly in times to come, let’s realise that losing your footing is nothing compared to losing your positive attitude and recognition of opportunities. Sometimes seeing the world from a lower angle gives us a new perspective. Here’s to a year of great times, amazing lessons, tremendous growth and endless opportunities. Let’s walk tall (or on the floor!) together.

Have a wonderful week.

Yours in heels,
Jo

Don't forget to LIKE our FaceBook page - http://www.facebook.com/pages/High-Heelers/193781660675079
And if you really, really like us – send us out across your Social Networking Links – just click the appropriate icon below.

No comments: