Monday, July 11, 2011

When I grow up....

Hello High Heelers

You know, I recently had the privilege of attending my dad’s retirement party and it was such a great experience to hear all his colleagues’ experiences of him over the past twenty years. My pride levels were on a high!

They spoke about my father being someone who is meticulous, methodical, the ‘perfect employee’, hugely intelligent, well-dressed, reliable, honest and loyal. But what struck me most is how his entire team recognised him for being the ultimate confidant and gentleman. To have a positive male role model in your life is a blessing. And I have been truly blessed. It was my mother who taught me to be a woman, but it was my father who taught me how to be a lady.

Funnily enough it was also my dad who turned me into something of a feminist! He’s always pointed out the female engineer, the lady pilot, the successful businesswoman and the young lady race car driver. He’s always been that guy who is hugely proud of any woman who has reached great heights in a male-dominated environment. Though I know he’s proud of me just the way I am, I know he’d have just a little extra bit of ‘chuff’ if I’d become the lady race car driver who kicked some guy-butt! (Though he wouldn’t actually use the word ‘butt’!)

The men in our lives are play a huge role in shaping who we are and how we see ourselves. They can help us shine, they can make us whine and sometimes they can break us down. Most of us will be working with men (at some point in our careers) who are a little threatened by the modern woman who rocks red lips and hot heels. And you know what? They’re just going to have to get over it. When Natalie Maroun was recently faced with a possible-client who expected her to jump through hoops and do a song and dance, she dug in her heels, did an about turn, and stayed true to herself. She may be a hot woman, but she is no-one’s show pony.

Similarly, being true and respectful to myself, is one the best things I’ve learned from my dad. Though his colleagues didn’t wear a tie to work – he did. Because he had massive respect for his working environment and himself. He always wanted to be his best – inside and out. And as I watch Natalie in my own working world, and am privy to her huge success, I see this massive personal respect in her too.

Sadly, many of us (both the high heeled and flat-shoed ones) have not had the guidance of a good man in their lives. So the best we can do is learn these lessons from the great ones we’re presented with (I now know how my dad has been that person to so many others).

So this week, may I encourage you, to think about what you’d like your colleagues to tell your children about you? And think about what you truly want to be remembered for in your work place. Because when I grow up, I want to be just like my dad!

Have a great week High Heelers!

Cheers,
Jo

No comments: